1. What is a food that you never thought you would try, but then tried and liked?
Sushi. I remember hating sushi. Just the thought of sticking this big roll of raw fish into your mouth turned me off. Well, turns out I just didn’t have good sushi. When I got out to LA and actually got some good spicy tuna I was hooked. Thank you Tengu. My obsession with sushi has never been the same since. I also now judge each place based on how good their spicy tuna taste.
2. Do you subscribe to any foodie publications? If so, which ones?
Cooking Light. I love to cook healthy meals. CL is the perfect tool to do that.
3. What ingredient do you find yourself reaching for the most when you cook?
Shrimp, Chicken, Orzo, Rice, Chicken Broth. Those are my staples. If I have those ingredients on hand more than likely I can make a meal out of it. We make a lot of one dish meals since they are easy! 🙂
4. Are there any foods that you hated as a child, but then learned to like as an adult?
Seafood. I didn’t really like any type of seafood. That has definitely changed. Though I still don’t like anything too fishy tasting or anything with a face.
5. What do you like to eat that others may consider weird?
Mustard with french fries. People find that weird for some reason. I don’t like ketchup and I still need something to dip my fries in. I also do ranch now though it is not good for you. :/ I also don’t like noodles and red sauce together. I like noodles and I like red sauce just not together. People think that is weird.
6. What is the weirdest ingredient you’ve ever cooked with?
There are some spices that I know have been so weird I have a hard time finding. Usually though if I can’t find it at my local grocery store I don’t make the dish.
7. Do you have any major food allergies?
8. Is there an ingredient that you would like to cook with, but are intimidated to try?
I am sure there is but I can’t think of it right now.
9. Do you bake?
Yes I do. I am a decent baker but I have a hard time measuring things which is very important in baking. I cook very loosely…meaning I don’t really follow recipes to the tee. I just eye it and taste it until it is good. It bothers me a bit when I see cooks spending so much time measuring and following the recipe to the tee. Cooking is about feeling…let loose! 🙂
10. If you could go on any “foodie” show to compete, which one would it be, and why?
Oh, wow, hmm…probably the Iron Chef. I would definitely be intimidated though.